1. To start, make sure you have plenty of product on hand, namely a strong-hold hairspray or spray gel and a hair wax to finish the look and help keep it in place. Also helpful: a friend to assist you, or at least keep you company.
2. Beginning with dry hair, part hair at the side and comb or brush it into a ponytail that sits halfway between the crown of your head and the nape of your neck, and slightly off to the left. Twist the ponytail around twice, to form a roll.
3. Tuck the ends under to bend the roll against your head, and tuck the roll inside itself and quickly pin into place.
4. Set the look with hairspray.
5. Use hair wax to smooth down any loose strands or flyaway hairs.
6. Depending on how elaborate your outfit is, a twist updo is also the perfect style for a pretty accessory like a crystal-encrusted comb or a fresh flower.
See More Drew Barrymore Hairstyles
Rate this photo: