You’ve found it. The perfect strapless dress. It flatters your shoulders, your boobs, everything, there’s just one tiny (OK, major) problem: how the heck are you going to wear your hair with this thing?
Strapless dresses are tricky when it comes to pairing them with your hairstyle. Wear your hair down and you may negate the whole point of wearing a sexy strapless dress. Pull your hair up and your once-tame strapless dress now has you feeling a wee bit street-walkerish.
You know what you need? No, not a different dress, you need a hair/dress pairing expert, like celebrity hairstylist Alejandra Nerizagal (she’s worked with Mariah Carey and Alicia Silverstone). Check out what she says you should consider with your hair/strapless dress combo:
1. The event: Is it snooty or casual? You wouldn’t wear prom hair to a friend’s BBQ, would ya?
2. The fabric: Is your dress shiny and blingy, or more simple? An overly elaborate updo paired with a plain cotton strapless is going to look just plain weird, you know?
3. The style: Is it a geometric/graphic print, or more flowy and romantic? All of that matters too.
4. How much skin you’re showin': Like we said, you’ll want to use your hair to help balance the skimpiness of your dress.
5. The weather: Are you going to be outside on the beach or in an airtight ballroom? That’ll effect which ‘do you choose (and the amount of hairspray needed to keep it in place).
Yeah, it’s a lot to think about (who knew fashion was so complicated?), but Nerizagal lays it all out for us on the next few slides — with the help of celebrity hairstyles from Angelina Jolie, Kristin Cavallari, Heidi Klum, Jennifer Garner, Jennifer Hudson, Sandra Bullock, Kristen Bell, Zoe Saldana, Eva Mendes and Carey Mulligan — so just take a deep breath and click next for all the answers you need.
Image: Getty Images