Take it sky high
1. Start by misting the top of your hair with root lifting spray for extra body (try Suave Professionals Volumizing Root Lifter Spray Gel, $3.99).
2. Blow dry your hair with a large round brush, lifting hair at the roots to add volume. Wrap large sections of hair around hot rollers. Keep them in for at least 15 minutes, and take them out once they’re cool.
3. Gather all of your hair into a super high ponytail, and secure it with an elastic. Tug at the top of your head to loosen up the hair.
4. Divide your pony into three sections. Spray each section generously with hairspray and give it one or two backcombing strokes to build a base of volume.
5. Take each section and wrap it around the crown of your head, twisting it gently as you go. Secure it to your head with a few bobby pins, making sure you leave the last 2 to 3 inches of hair out.
6. Now wrap the other two sections around the first, making sure to leave the ends free. You should have a loose messy bun.
7. Work the loose ends with your fingers to spread them out, and mist all over with strong-hold hairspray to keep the updo in place.