Is your hair is spiraling out of control…literally? These tips for curly layered hair will put your hair back in its place.
1. Curly hair looks best when it is shoulder length or longer, with a few well-placed layers to even out any bulk and avoid a boxy shape. Start layers at your chin or collarbone and spread them all around your head. For more advice on how to get the cut you want, read 10 Tips For a Great Cut.
2. No razor cuts. This approach to haircutting will only roughen the hair cuticle and create frizz.
3. The less you shampoo, the better your curls will look. Shampoo can be drying and frizz-inducing, so try to keep your washes to once or twice a week, and make sure you use a sulfate-free shampoo made especially for curly hair. Use dry shampoo between washes if you’re feeling too icky to go without.
4. Make the most of anti-frizz cream. Use a product that seals the cuticle so moisture from the air doesn’t reach your hair.
5. Lay off the blowdryer. Since blowdrying will only cause your curly hair to poof up, try an air-dry approach. Squeeze all of the water from your curly layered hair and apply a leave-in conditioner and anti-frizz serum. Next, shape your curls by wrapping them around your fingers. Let your hair air-dry from there.
With these tips, you should be able to take your curly layered hair from frizzy to freaking fabulous. For more hair styles, try these 12 easy styles for curly hair.