Volumnized Long Waves
How to get the look:
1. Apply a heat protectant spray to dry, clean hair. Try Redken Spray Starch 15 Heat Memory Styler, $11.
2. Using 1-inch sections of hair, work your way around the whole head with the curling iron. Make sure to spray each section first with hairspray. To curl, hold onto the end of the hair section and have the iron pointing down, parallel to the head. Start a few inches away from your head and wrap the hair down the barrel of the iron. Hold for a few seconds then release.
3. Once the whole head has been curled and has cooled, run your fingers through to loosen and smooth hair with a shine serum.
4. Starting at the front hairline, make a section as wide as the temples and 1-inch deep. Backcomb the hair with a fine-tooth comb. Continue backcombing a few inches from the head while pushing the hair down to create a 1-inch cushion.
5. Repeat this technique in 1-inch sections all the way back to just below the crown. Spray each section with hairspray.
6. Next, spray hairspray directly onto your comb and gently run it over the backcombed hair from the front hairline, back. Try not to comb out what you have done, just smooth the front and top enough to hide it all underneath.
7. Finish the look by putting the headband over your head, then pulling it up to your front hairline. Gently push it back 1-inch from the hairline. This should flatten the front and create volume behind.
8. Do a final spray with hairspray over the entire head. Finish with a glossing mist to add maximum shine.